Bostik Findley Case Study
The case study illustrates how the three companies worked together to design and fine-tune an integrated solution that resulted in a number of benefits for all three companies. In addition to BF’s improved material-handling process, AZC benefits included a solution for the many customer requests for specific, recipe-driven package sizes. PPC was able to design and fine-tune its solution and provide a tested, innovative technology that addresses many of the demands of the adhesives and sealants industry through close collaboration.
Assessment of BF’s Objectives and Discharge Practices
BF management earned enthusiastic support from its “associates” (plant-floor operators) for internal productivity improvements by committing to the 30-lb lifting-limitation goal. Further, BF also determined that the following objectives needed to be met:
- Employee Safety and Ergonomics: Improve operator and working-environment safety and ergonomics by reducing “lost time” injuries, reducing Workers’ Compensation “experience” ratings and increasing compliance with OSHA recommendations.
- Capital Utilization: Require no significant plant-infrastructure changes and a solution that could be used on all plants and vats. The technology platforms in one plant needed to be transferable and adaptable into other plants.
- Operating Costs: Require minimal or no price increases over the direct material cost from the filler using paper bags.
- Process Optimization: Provide operator control of material-discharge rates, therefore eliminating possibility of overloading mixer capabilities and improving the consistency by eliminating ‘human variability’ in the material-addition process. Require the ability to perform partial-bag discharges and re-store the bag for future use. Require ability to handle reasonably poor-flowing materials.
- Modernize Documentation: Document the material processes to help meet stringent and growing ISO production-documentation requirements.
- Environmental Impact: Decrease waste to landfill, resulting in an overall positive impact on the environment. Also improve the environment within the plant by decreasing dust and raw-material waste.
- Supply-Chain Management: Provide a complete solution so that plants, an externally located Supply-Chain Management team and the fillers could each concentrate on its given strengths.